Saturday 7 July 2007

Early photos








One of the very earliest pictures of me standing upright, this one of me and my mother was taken on the beach at St Bees - always a popular destination on a fine summer Sunday afternoon.













Grandma and Aunty Mary watch on as I get to grips with the latest in farming technology. If you assume I was about two here, it was another eight long years before my feet would reach the pedals and they let me have a go for real.


















They had funny ideas of entertainment in the early 1960's and I'm sure they thought I would enjoy being dragged around over the snow on the lid of an old tin chest. My expression in this photo tells a different tale I think.


















This is me in warmer times posing on a log outside the farmhouse probably in 1962 or 1963. The picture would likely be taken by one of my aunts with the "box brownie"












Here I am with my Grandma at the same place - looks like the log has now been sawn in half!

Grandma was the only grandparent I knew and she died in November 1963.













Same spot again!

Dogs were a big part of my childhood as I had two uncles who were successful in the world of Hound Trailing. ( a Cumbrian sport involving racing hounds over an aniseed trail) This is the 1964 puppy champion "Longcroft" and his trophies!












Dad was never a snappy dresser, but boy could he
catch fish. Summer evenings and Sunday mornings were often spent "down t'beck" in pursuit of salmon. I never thought of fresh wild salmon as being a luxury as we had it so often and, if he'd had a successful day like this one, we'd have salmon every meal until it was gone - at least until we got a freezer in the 1970's.

No comments: